The search for a better horn
- The original horns were pretty quiet. One was definitely damaged. (Tiny crack on the bell of the horn.)
- The original horns were missing jam nuts, so they weren't tuned
- The original horns also had some sort of hard epoxy that prevented the tuning screws from going as far as they could go.
What I tried first:
- Buying an aftermarket metal horn replica.
- Pros: Looked similar to the original, kind of expensive but not terrible. Something around $40/horn.
- Cons: Still not really all that much louder.
What I tried next:
- Buying Hella Horns: Twin Trumpet (007424801)
- Pros: Cheap. $20 for both. Loud!
- Cons: Did not sound right for the car-- too deep and truck-like.
What I tried (and really really like!)
- Hella Sharptone Set (H31000001)
- Pros: Sharp! Proper sounding (in my opinion, still cute). AND LOUD.
- Cons: It took me a while to find these.